Monday, December 18, 2006

Will Smith's "Pursuit of Happyness"

BTW, I just want you all to know that I spelled happiness as "happyness" because that is the way it is spelled for the movie. Those who saw it know why. Just wanted to say that before you people begin to say I can't spell. In any event, you are prolly wondering what this movie has to do with "all things Ghanaian." Well, the movie is essentially about determination and overcoming extraordinary odds to achieve a dream. Well, I felt like the movie spoke to many things such as father/son relationships, reponsibility, etc. I also felt that it spoke to the immigrant experience. I mean, how many of us watched as our own parents struggled against extraordinary odds to help place us in positions of success. They overcame accent/language barriers, no pali barriers (no papers), "African booty scratcher barriers (if you went to elem. to high school here you know what I am talking about)," and so much more just to make sure that their children would not have to suffer in the same manner. I mean the character exhibited unusual strength of character and commitment to his goal. He wanted a better life for himself and his son and was willing to sacrifice anything in order to achieve it. I cried and cried when he reached his goal. It felt great that his hard work finally paid off. Just as many of our parents' hard work and determination have paid off, particularly with regard to our (their children) successes.

I suggest you go and see the movie and then thank you parents/aunts or whomever was instrumental in helping you achieve your goals. Then also pat yourself on the back for staying strong and committed to your goal... even if it was because you parents had to beat you well, well or "guilt you" into being committed. LOL.

Have a great holiday.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a movie that i've been meaning to watch, and that many people have told me that I (in particular) would like. With that being said, I think of the sacrifices of my mother and father daily, and they drive me to push ahead.

By the way, both beating and guilting are effective strategies that I plan to continue, lol.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...