Monday, December 04, 2006

Ushers...We Beg You Ohhhhhh

Ok, I have another chuch related post...
Aren't ushers supposed to smile when you enter the church?
Aren't they supposed to give you eye contact?
Are they supposed to get an attitude when you want to sit somewhere other than where they want you to sit?
Are they supposed to try to make people in church comfortable, i.e., if it's hot, are they supposed to like turn on fans to make it better?
I am not pointing any fingers oh, I just want to be clear so that I don't expect too much.

Of course there are exceptions to the behavior I have ascribed to the ushers I have come across but it should not be that way. I can literally count how many ushers at my church seem to be happy to be doing their jobs. You can count on the same people to smile at you when you enter the church. The rest...it's a toss up. It is sad cuz their reception(s) can set the tone for how one might feel about the church. If you have a half-hearted reception, it might be diffcult to turn it around for the rest of the service, particularly if you are not accustomed to that type of "welcome" or if you are a visitor. Anyway, I guess that's just the way it is. Ehhh, we Africans have our own brand of customer service but delving into that topic will take much more time than I have right now. God bless you all and make sure that next time you go to church, you look your usher in the eye and force him/her to smile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mo wa ka bee! Some of these ushers kra I don't know, but like you said let us do things to make them smile and do the job more akono in the house of the LORD! AMEN.

SandyBaby said...

LOL!!!

As you know, I am an usher at a predominantly African church. In my obsercation, the young ushers (like myself) tend to be more hospitable and accomodating than our older African and Caribbean counterparts. I find myself wondering why are you even ushering if you're not a people person?????

We must do better...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...